An International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) team of experts today said Spain showed a strong commitment to nuclear and radiation safety
- An innovative data management tool used by CSN for assessing safety in the transport of radioactive materials.
- ENRESA’s state-of-the-art design for the Centralized Storage Facility as part of a national strategy to manage spent fuel.
- The Government should ensure that delays in establishing the Centralized Storage Facility do not negatively impact the safe management of spent fuel and higher level waste.
- The Government should take immediate steps regarding updates to the national General Radioactive Waste Plan.
- The Government, CSN and ENRESA should develop regulations, technical requirements and an implementation plan for a deep geological disposal facility.
- The Government should enhance coordination among operators, response organizations and regulatory authorities during a nuclear and radiological emergency.
- The regulatory body should enhance processes for systematic reviews of nuclear regulations and guides in line with IAEA safety standards.
- CSN should complete cooperation agreements with other national competent authorities regarding the management of contaminated sites.